Position Title: Policy Program Director (Renewable Energy and Energy Storage)
Location: Washington, DC
ClearPath’s mission is to develop and advance conservative policies to address climate change by accelerating clean energy innovation. To advance that mission, we develop cutting-edge policy and messaging, educate policymakers, and collaborate with academics and industry. Started in 2014 by entrepreneur Jay Faison, ClearPath engages in the direct education of policy makers within the White House, Congress, Executive Agencies, and regulators like the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
ClearPath team members believe in small government, free markets, and American entrepreneurship. Those principles form the basis for how the team analyzes proposed clean energy and climate policy. ClearPath Action, a sister organization with similar goals, is a C4 non-profit organization that advocates for legislation and policy change in line with our principles.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
This position works collaboratively within the ClearPath policy team focused on a diverse set of clean energy technologies, and reports to the Managing Director of Policy. The broader team is responsible for crafting the policy vision for the organization. ClearPath’s Program Director will develop policy that supports ClearPath’s goals and objectives, and promote it to key audiences in government and industry. S/he will focus on the technological innovation and regulatory policies for all clean energy technologies, with a focus on energy storage, geothermal, and hydropower generation. The Program Director may manage the team’s policy analysts, fellows, and interns to advance their initiatives.
Research & Advising (50%)
- Direct ClearPath’s portfolio on new renewable and energy storage technologies and companies aiming to bring concepts to the commercial marketplace;
- Conduct analyses of policy and industry trends;
- Conduct market or techno-economic analyses of emerging technologies and companies;
- Produce research insights and written products pertaining to ongoing clean energy legislative, regulatory and innovation activities across the federal government; and
- Track federal clean energy programs, such the RD&D programs at the Department of Energy and U.S. national laboratories, and make recommendations to improve their impact.
Strategy & Management (25%):
- Prioritize, execute and raise the visibility of ClearPath’s policy agenda. This includes identifying the “white space” and leveraging it as an opportunity for growth;
- Identify policy opportunities and help develop strategies alongside ClearPath Government Relations team for advocacy;
- Exhibit superb critical thinking and problem-solving skills; s/he will have a proven ability to grasp “big picture” concepts as well as granular complexities;
- Develop and manage energy policy-related philanthropy; and
- Manage and direct time of policy analysts, fellows, and interns to advance projects within the renewable energy and energy storage portfolio.
Communications, Relationship Building & Influencing (25%):
- Communicate complex ideas clearly, simply and convincingly, internally and externally to both technical and non-technical audiences;
- Publish “thought leadership” (i.e. blogs, white papers, op-eds) while speaking on the record with reports or at public events to elevate clean energy debate;
- Attract and cultivate collaborative relationships with key stakeholders; s/he will represent ClearPath in a credible manner and with ease;
- Lead rapid response initiatives when questions arise on Capitol Hill about ClearPath’s issues; and
- Network with renewable and energy storage technology companies and other stakeholders to develop policies that could accelerate deployment of new technologies.
- Abstract Reasoning Ability: Potential to solve problems and understand the logical relationships among concepts.
- Idea Orientation: preference for thinking creatively and generating new ways to solve problems.
- Self-structure: preference for independently determining work methods.
- Thoroughness: The tendency to pay attention to detail.
- Accommodation: Desire to help others.
- Teamwork: Be fun, fast, collaborative, and supportive.
- Dedication: Be here because you want to change the world.
- Ownership: Think and act like an owner.
- Adaptability: Be humble and agile.
- Integrity: Believe individual and organizational credibility is everything.
- Curiosity: Voracious learner eager to engage with the substantive details of our work.
- 3-7+ years of clean energy industry, economics, finance, and/or policy experience, with experience in renewable and/or energy storage technologies;
- Ability to assess and communicate technology fundamentals, project finance/economics, and energy market trends;
- Excellent analytical and communication skills (verbal and written);
- A professional and personal commitment to ClearPath’s mission and values;
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25% of the time; and
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a related field.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary and bonus commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, life, disability insurance and 401(k)
Please send resume and a technical writing sample to Andrea Steiner at firstname.lastname@example.org