Position Title: Policy Associate, Nuclear Energy
Location: Washington, DC
ClearPath’s mission is to develop and advance conservative policies to address climate change by accelerating clean energy innovation. To advance that mission, we develop cutting-edge policy and messaging, educate policymakers, and collaborate with academics and industry. Started in 2014 by entrepreneur Jay Faison, ClearPath engages in the direct education of policy makers within the White House, Congress, Executive Agencies, and regulators like the NRC and FERC.
ClearPath team members believe in small government, free markets, and American entrepreneurship. Those principles form the basis for how the team analyzes proposed clean energy and climate policy.
This position works collaboratively with the Policy and Government Affairs teams, and is responsible for assisting in the development and promotion of policies that support ClearPath’s goals and objectives to key audiences in government and industry. This role will primarily focus on nuclear energy policy, and will support other policy areas as needed. In addition, this role will support the External Affairs team on educational events and staff briefings for U.S. federal policymakers. This position will report to Niko McMurray, Managing Director of Public Policy, and work closely with nuclear energy policy lead Natalie Houghtalen, Policy Advisor.
Research & Advising:
- Draft high-level, quick, and in-depth analysis of research, policy and industry trends;
- Produce concise research insights and written products pertaining to legislative, regulatory and innovation activities across the federal government;
- Develop subject matter expertise through networking and research;
- Support rapid response initiatives when questions arise on Capitol Hill;
- Support the development of educational materials and events for Capitol Hill.
Strategic Thinking & Execution:
- Work alongside the team to follow and grow existing nuclear energy strategy;
- Demonstrate superb critical thinking and problem-solving skills, including big-picture concepts and granular complexities;
- Support the identification of policy gaps that can be leveraged for growth; and
- Collaborate with the Government Affairs teams to develop strategies for advocacy that support existing ClearPath goals.
Communications, Relationship Building & Influencing:
- Communicate complex ideas clearly, simply and convincingly, internally and externally to both technical and non-technical audiences;
- Publish “thought leadership” (i.e. blogs, white papers);
- Attract and cultivate collaborative relationships with key stakeholders by representing ClearParth in a credible manner and with ease; and
- Support External Affairs initiatives for educational events and staff briefings for federal policymakers.
- Deliberative Decision Making – Gather, consider, and evaluate all relevant information to make logical conclusions before being moved to action. Able to put aside personal biases and take an objective approach to making decisions based on data or other pertinent facts.
- Analytical Thinking – Have the capability and the inclination to identify and synthesize information from diverse sources by looking for patterns in data, making connections between seemingly unrelated events, and understanding how different parts of a system are interdependent.
- Learning Agility – Able to discern patterns in data, recognize relationships between concepts, and rapidly apply learning from one context to solve analogous problems in different contexts.
- Scientific Acumen – Consistently and appropriately implement best practices in scientific inquiry and empirical reasoning to identify trends in data.
- Information Seeking – Have an underlying curiosity and desire to know more about things, people, or issues. They go beyond routine questions and dig for exact information to resolve discrepancies.
- Quality Focus – Are able to manage the efficiency, accuracy, completeness, and integrity of the work that they produce.
- Time Management – Able to manage multiple responsibilities by being organized and keeping on top of important time sensitive tasks.
- Deep interest in policy, ideally related to the industrial sector.
- Comfortable with and able to quickly learn technical concepts.
- Excellent verbal and written communicator.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and/or Google Suite equivalents.
- A professional and personal commitment to ClearPath’s mission and values.
- Bachelor’s degree, ideally in a field of study related to ClearPath’s mission.
- Teamwork: We empower each other to accomplish our shared mission.
- Purpose: We believe the principles of limited government, free markets, and fiscal responsibility are essential to achieving our mission.
- Ownership: We empower teammates to visibly own and achieve goals.
- Adaptability: We are open to new, complex ideas and test our assumptions to lead change and advance our mission.
- Curiosity: We have a proactive desire to learn, grow and improve ourselves, our ideas, and our mission in a thoughtful and focused way.
- Credibility: We agree that being trustworthy and believable is everything for building and maintaining influence.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience Annual bonus, historically awarded
- Paid professional development opportunities
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance
- Retirement Benefit offering an employer matching contribution of employee contributions $1 for $1 on the first 5% of pay contributed
- No set vacation policy – take what you need whenever workflow allows
- Hybrid and flexible work schedules
- Fully stocked office kitchen in a newly renovated building on Capitol Hill
Please send resume and letter of interest to email@example.com
At ClearPath, we value a diverse and inclusive workforce. We believe our team is the key to making an impact and fulfilling our mission. ClearPath is an equal-opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. ClearPath participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.