Position Title: Analyst (Carbon Capture & Removal)
Location: Washington, DC
ClearPath’s mission is to develop and advance conservative policies to address climate change by accelerating clean energy innovation. To advance that mission, we develop cutting-edge policy and messaging, educate policymakers, and collaborate with academics and industry. Started in 2014 by entrepreneur Jay Faison, ClearPath engages in the direct education of policy makers within the White House, Congress, Executive Agencies, and regulators like the NRC and FERC.
ClearPath team members believe in small government, free markets, and American entrepreneurship. Those principles form the basis for how the team analyzes proposed clean energy and climate policy. ClearPath Action, a sister organization with similar goals, is a C4 non-profit organization that advocates for legislation and policy change in line with our principles.
The Carbon Capture and Removal Analyst will join ClearPath’s policy team, a group responsible for crafting organizational positions and recommendations across a diverse set of clean energy technologies. This role will support ClearPath’s growing carbon capture and storage policy portfolio. The analyst will collect and assess technologies/projects, foster external relationships, publish articles and policy briefs, and identify policy opportunities to accelerate development. The analyst will focus on evaluating novel carbon capture applications, (e.g. hard-to-abate industrial-sectors, direct air capture) and assist with geologic storage policy.
Research & Advising (50%)
- Conduct technical and business model analyses of emerging carbon capture and removal technologies/companies;
- Track relevant federal carbon capture and removal programs, e.g. within the Department of Energy, the Department of Defense and Department of Agriculture;
- Publish external “thought leadership”pieces (i.e. blogs, white papers, journal articles).
Strategic Thinking & Execution (25%):
- Identify policy opportunities and help advance carbon capture, utilization and storage (CCUS) commercialization alongside ClearPath Government Relations team;
- Exhibit superb critical thinking and problem-solving skills; s/he will have a proven ability to grasp “big picture” concepts as well as granular complexities.
Networking & Relationship Building (25%):
- Assist in the management of carbon capture policy-related philanthropy;
- Communicate complex ideas clearly, simply and convincingly, internally and externally to both technical and non-technical audiences;
- Cultivate collaborative relationships with key stakeholders; s/he will represent ClearPath in a credible manner and with ease.
- BS, MS, and/or PhD with a science or applied science degree (chemical engineering, geology, etc.);
- 2+ years of experience in a highly related field (modeling advanced energy systems, carbon capture laboratory research, project development, etc.);
- A professional and personal commitment to ClearPath’s mission and values;
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25% of the time.
- Ability to conduct techno-economic analyses covering thermodynamics, kinetics, costing and financial analysis of an energy related application(s);
- Familiarity with stakeholders in the carbon capture and storage field, e.g. technology developers, funding agencies, etc.
- Modeling skills: Aspen Plus, Aspen Custom Modeler, gPROMS, Protreat, GAMS, MATLAB.
- Abstract Reasoning Ability: Potential to solve problems and understand the logical relationships among concepts.
- Idea Orientation: Preference for thinking creatively and generating new ways to solve problems.
- Flexible: Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks with often overlapping deadlines.
- Self-structure: Preference for independently determining work methods.
- Thoroughness: Tendency to pay attention to detail.
- Accommodation: Desire to help others.
- Teamwork: Be fun, fast, collaborative, and supportive.
- Dedication: Be here because you want to change the world.
- Ownership: Think and act like an owner.
- Adaptability: Be humble and agile.
- Integrity: Believe individual and organizational credibility is everything.
- Curiosity: Voracious learner eager to engage with the substantive details of our work.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary and bonus commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, life, disability insurance and 401(k)
Please send resume and writing samples to Andrea Steiner at email@example.com