Position Title: Finance and Development Associate
Location: Remote or Washington, DC
ClearPath’s mission is to develop and advance conservative policies to address climate change by accelerating clean energy innovation. To advance that mission, we develop cutting-edge policy and messaging, educate policymakers, and collaborate with academics and industry. Started in 2014 by entrepreneur Jay Faison, ClearPath engages in the direct education of policy makers within the White House, Congress, Executive Agencies, and regulators like the NRC and FERC.
ClearPath team members believe in small government, free markets, and American entrepreneurship. Those principles form the basis for how the team analyzes proposed clean energy and climate policy.
This role will provide the opportunity to learn more about non-profit operations and gain experience in financial planning and analysis, development, and reporting. Supporting the Finance Manager and Sr Director of Development, this role will engage with all members of the team to ensure financial health of the organization.
Research & Advising:
- Collaborate on the total enterprise annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Finance Manager and Leadership team
- Support the implementation and tracking of changes resulting from quarterly financial review meetings with team leads
- Implement process improvements for operational budgets and forecasts
- Track and manage budgets for incoming and outgoing grants to ensure timely reporting, invoicing, and payment
- Assist with the preparation of high-level and detailed financial reporting, analysis, and modeling for presentation to Funders, COO, CEO and Board of Directors to help ensure the financial health of the organization
- Analyze actual versus budget variances and recommend forecast updates
- Complete and review month-end close
- Prep and review grant allocation journal entries Review and correct journal entries
- Prep, review and reconcile audit report and interact with auditors Review bank and account reconciliations
- Implement standard accounting policies and procedures
- Assist with the management and approval of accounts payable
- Assist with the management of incoming grants, including collaboration with the broader team on concept notes, budgets, and proposals
- Assist with the preparation of financial reporting materials for grants, ensuring that expenditures are aligned with grant and program budgets and timelines
- Support and improve grant management process including tracking timelines for activities and reporting. Use systems and spreadsheets to optimize the process, including potentially developing a CRM system
- Support the management of outgoing grants including development of grant agreements/MOUs
Compliance and Risk Management:
- Support activities and work with legal team to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements, tax filings, congressional ethics reporting and rules for non-profits
- Track and manage all contracts, statements of work, or MOUs to ensure they are legally sound and up-to-date
- Deliberative Decision Making – Gather, consider, and evaluate all relevant information to make logical conclusions before being moved to action. Able to put aside personal biases and take an objective approach to making decisions based on data or other pertinent facts.
- Analytical Thinking – Have the capability and the inclination to identify and synthesize information from diverse sources by looking for patterns in data, making connections between seemingly unrelated events, and understanding how different parts of a system are interdependent.
- Learning Agility – Able to discern patterns in data, recognize relationships between concepts, and rapidly apply learning from one context to solve analogous problems in different contexts.
- Scientific Acumen – Consistently and appropriately implement best practices in scientific inquiry and empirical reasoning to identify trends in data.
- Information Seeking – Have an underlying curiosity and desire to know more about things, people, or issues. They go beyond routine questions and dig for exact information to resolve discrepancies.
- Quality Focus – Are able to manage the efficiency, accuracy, completeness, and integrity of the work that they produce.
- Time Management – Able to manage multiple responsibilities by being organized and keeping on top of important time sensitive tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Nonprofit Management, Business or a related field
- 2-5 years of experience in a related field is preferred Strong Excel and data analysis skills
- Knowledge in or willingness to learn Prophix, Bill.com, Expensify, Intacct or other accounting software
- Experience with or willingness to learn CRM or grant management software, such as SalesForce
- Experience and understanding of non-profit organizations, accounting and finance.
- Experience in program budgeting and fiscal management; understanding of general ledger accounting, closing processes, taxes, and financial statements
- A professional and personal commitment to ClearPath’s mission
- Teamwork: We empower each other to accomplish our shared mission.
- Purpose: We believe the principles of limited government, free markets, and fiscal responsibility are essential to achieving our mission.
- Ownership: We empower teammates to visibly own and achieve goals.
- Adaptability: We are open to new, complex ideas and test our assumptions to lead change and advance our mission.
- Curiosity: We have a proactive desire to learn, grow and improve ourselves, our ideas, and our mission in a thoughtful and focused way.
- Credibility: We agree that being trustworthy and believable is everything for building and maintaining influence.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience Annual bonus, historically awarded
- Paid professional development opportunities
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance
- Retirement Benefit offering an employer matching contribution of employee contributions $1 for $1 on the first 5% of pay you contribute
- No vacation policy – take what you need whenever workflow allows
- Fully stocked office kitchen in newly renovated building on Capitol Hill
Please send resume to email@example.com
At ClearPath, we value a diverse and inclusive workforce. We believe our team is the key to making an impact and fulfilling our mission. ClearPath is an equal-opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. ClearPath participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.