Position Title: External Affairs Associate
Location: Washington, DC
ClearPath’s mission is to develop and advance conservative policies to address climate change by accelerating clean energy innovation. To advance that mission, we develop cutting-edge policy and messaging, educate policymakers, and collaborate with academics and industry. Started in 2014 by entrepreneur Jay Faison, ClearPath engages in the direct education of policy makers within the White House, Congress, Executive Agencies, and regulators like the NRC and FERC.
ClearPath team members believe in small government, free markets, and American entrepreneurship. Those principles form the basis for how the team analyzes proposed clean energy and climate policy.
ClearPath’s External Affairs Associate will work closely with the entire External Affairs (EA) team in collaboration with the Government Affairs, Policy, and Operations teams to understand and engage our target audience and support ClearPath’s mission.
The position will require an adaptable mindset to support the ClearPath communications and marketing objectives, achieve policy outcomes, and continuously improve brand perception. Additionally, the position will work closely with the ClearPath team to execute a plan with ambitious goals, and track the strategy. This includes interacting with stakeholders as well as helping coordinate and attending events, hearings and briefings where we can drive message, coordinate, and educate target audience and key stakeholders on ClearPath priorities.
The individual will play an important role in continuing to grow our message by developing and distributing content, including advertising, to be placed on platforms such as cable news, social media, traditional media and other platforms. As an organization driven by innovation, we strive to keep our brand on the forefront of communications, marketing and advertising tactics. The EA Associate will report directly to ClearPath’s Director of External Affairs.
Communications and Public Affairs:
- Support the team in developing content including writing, editing and proofreading (weekly newsletters, press materials, blogs, op-eds, media backgrounders, etc)
- Work in collaboration with the team to create media relations strategies to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the national news media, key influencers, and target audience; field incoming press calls, providing media with requested information, scheduling interviews, prepping spokespeople for interviews, proactively developing relationships with media and pitching story ideas.
- Help develop press materials, including media kits, op-eds, statements, talking points, executive media interview briefs, news releases, social media strategy, website content and fact sheets, initiatives and key messages.
- Support influencer and stakeholder relations strategy to amplify brand and voice, engage key stakeholder groups, and advance mission.
- Help COO and operations team with developing the internal weekly newsletter and other internal communications
Digital Advertising and Marketing:
- Support the coordination and use of digital marketing programs and campaigns across different social platforms including Twitter, LinkedIn, Google Ads and YouTube.
- Monitor campaign and website performance via analytic tools such as Google Analytics, Search Console, AdWords, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. and provide feedback and actionable insights to stakeholders.
- Use email marketing systems to deliver weekly newsletters and other digital collateral.
- Collaborate with the creative team to turn complex issues into appealing visuals.
- Assist the Events Manager and Government Affairs team in creating stakeholder materials for events and trips with external guests and organizations
- Support EA team with project management as needed for events execution, special projects, and other internal processes.
- Assist in optimizing presentations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, Public Relations, Political Science or a related field
- Internship experience or at least one year of professional experience in a related field – communications, public relations, marketing, Capitol Hill, clean energy.
- Knowledge in or willingness to learn SalesForce, Google Analytics, Google Ads and WordPress
- A professional and personal commitment to ClearPath’s mission
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and project management skills Ability and willingness to work occasional nontraditional hours based on events Social media experience a plus
- Willingness to learn new communication tools or software
- Accountability – take responsibility for their own performance and accept full ownership of issues, problems, and opportunities, regardless of the source.
- Quality Focus – Individuals who exhibit this competency ensure that all work in one’s own area of the business, throughout the organization, by vendors, suppliers, etc. is performed with excellence and to high standards for quality and integrity.
- Initiating Action – be a self-starter and take a lead role in improving or enhancing a work, avoiding problems, or developing entrepreneurial opportunities.
- Organizational Citizenship – focus efforts toward the common good; place the organization’s goals before individual, functional, or business unit goals; and demonstrate the desire to be a part of something that extends beyond their own self-interest.
- Time Management – focus on completing all work tasks in a timely manner while remaining responsive enough to react to competing demands and shifting priorities. This competency is about managing multiple responsibilities, being organized, keeping on top of important time-sensitive tasks, and performing all work accurately.
- Extended Task Focus – able to perform the same work function for a significant amount of time while remaining focused and without becoming disengaged.
- Teamwork: We empower each other to accomplish our shared mission.
- Purpose: We believe the principles of limited government, free markets, and fiscal responsibility are essential to achieving our mission.
- Ownership: We empower teammates to visibly own and achieve goals.
- Adaptability: We are open to new, complex ideas and test our assumptions to lead change and advance our mission.
- Curiosity: We have a proactive desire to learn, grow and improve ourselves, our ideas, and our mission in a thoughtful and focused way.
- Credibility: We agree that being trustworthy and believable is everything for building and maintaining influence.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience Annual bonus, historically awarded
- Paid professional development opportunities
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance
- Retirement Benefit offering an employer matching contribution of employee contributions $1 for $1 on the first 5% of pay contributed
- No set vacation policy – take what you need whenever workflow allows
- Hybrid and flexible work schedules
- Fully stocked office kitchen in a newly renovated building on Capitol Hill
Please send resume and technical writing sample to Andrea Steiner at email@example.com Note, ClearPath has one job opening for EA Manager or EA Associate based on experience please indicate in your email which role you are applying for.
At ClearPath, we value a diverse and inclusive workforce. We believe our team is the key to making an impact and fulfilling our mission. ClearPath is an equal-opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. ClearPath participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.